Friday, June 13, 2008

friday confession: singing in the wires

I like my greying hair. I don't have so many grey strands, but the lighting in my office elevator reveals every one. They're strong and wiry, different in texture than the brown. I'm almost sorry when one falls out, though it gives me the chance to inspect it closely. In all its literal brilliance.

Finding a grey hair always reminds me of when, as a kid, I'd find those colored telephone wires on the roadside. They stood out so sharply against the pavement. I wondered why the telephone linemen would leave those beauties behind.

3 comments:

LKD said...

Holy moly, that's some Grand Canyon of a cleft in Glen's chin.

I've been in love with my grey hairs since I discovered the first one in my teens. My father's hair was white by the time he was in his early twenties and I guess I always hoped maybe my hair would go all white too.

I have a lot of grey hair now. I can see it clearly in the ladies room mirror at work thanks to the magic of that blinding florescent light. I wish my hair was all grey.

I'm hoping one day to have a head of grey hair like Emily Lou Harris.

Of course, mine will be curly.

SarahJane said...

lucky you. curly.
my dad also went white fairly young. and he has always seemed absolutely radiant.

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

I too, love the few grays I have. I always wanted "platinum" hair, but my haircolorist(I have highlights done twice, maybe three times per year)says my hair's not going to be "gray enough" to go platinum for at least ten years. sigh.
We should start a "Gray Revolution". Come up with some kind of catch-y name, like "Great Grays" or something...

Related Posts with Thumbnails