Friday, May 02, 2008

friday confession: planet of the apes


At dinner I asked how many planets there are in the solar system. No one knew for sure.

Miles said three: earth, sun and moon.

Carlo, intoxicated as he is with the metric system, said ten.

Luisa took the 5th and Alex was almost right, having counted Pluto. I was off by one as well.

Luckily, ignorance was righted by a nearby reference book. We did better on which planet is closest to the sun, and the general order of things.

Actually, now I’m thinking Pluto may have been reinstated. What was the verdict?

Is it just us who can't name and number the planets without a collective effort?

*thx to oh my cavalier for the constellation of bees, which hangs in my study.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I like your dinner table conversation more than ours. I think our last debate was on how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

SarahJane said...

I must admit ignorance in this matter as well!

Anonymous said...

Pluto has been redefined as a dwarf planet. I miss it and choose to keep it

Anonymous said...

are there 9?! i used to know. poor pluto. alas.
thanks for the link to the wonderful world of OMC! her work is captivating.

Valerie Loveland said...

I looked through oh my cavalier's etsy site for the first time recently. Gorgeous stuff.

SarahJane said...

etsy is so interesting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails